Monday, March 2, 2009

Some W(h)ine for that Chese

Last Friday, I had an "optional" upper body workout scheduled. The fact that I actually did it, tells me that I may be getting in better shape. Many times, if I have the option to not work out I choose it to give myself the benefit of extra rest. Now, let's be honest, I didn't have a HUGE workout, but I tried to compensate for its lack of intensity by going to a different gym, and using different equipment. As I suspected, I was quite sore the next day, which is, after all, a good thing.

Saturday, I was supposed to go on my long run, but I had to push it to Sunday (yesterday), because of class that I had. It was a 13 miler on trails. I felt pretty damn good starting off. I ran in Cheseboro Canyon and hadn't run there in over a year, so it was good to be back out there.

The run began good enough, I felt strong, I enjoyed the scenery, (though the wildlife sightings were a bit disappointing), but around the 7 mile mark, I got pretty nauseous. It was probably a combination of hard running, and taking some supplements. I took some time near the top, before I turned around to head back. Once I started back up, I felt fine. I didn't drink as much on the way back, and around mile 10 or 11, I really bonked. I think I was dehydrated.

With less than 2 miles to go, with my legs tired and sloppy, on a flat stretch, to boot, I took a spill:
Ooh la la!

"I've seen better legs in a bucket of chicken."

Indeed.

But see what I mean, how the hair on my knee gets all scraped off? I was lucky this time around. My hand got the worst of it, but really, it wasn't bad at all.

(sigh)

I'm afraid, it may be time to get rid of the hair on my legs. Next time, I may not be quite so lucky.

The run ended up looking like this:

13.56 miles in 2:25
Av: 10:43/mile (yuck)
2319 feet of ascent
Calories burned: 1395





No comments: