Monday, March 30, 2009

Saturday = 19 Miles

I did my long run on Saturday, and all in all, I was somewhat pleased with the results. It was an out-and-back run that was supposed to be 18 miles, but because of the indirect route I took on the way out, it became 19 when all was said and done. Again, I ran to Griffith Park, and ran the hills in preparation for Big Sur, but this time, I wasn't nearly as aggressive with the downhills. It seemed to help, but this time, I was fighting the heat, and some dehydration. The last couple of long runs I've done, I've experimented with taking two Benadryls to dry up my sinuses. It seems to help somewhat, and I don't seem to suffer too many side effects, though one could be a quickening of dehydration. Saturday, it was pretty hot, with highs in the low 80's, and it was sunny, so I'm sure that added to the problem. I ran with a water bottle filled with Gatorade, and I refilled it at Griffith park. The added weight in my hands added to some tension and fatigue I experienced in my back, and arms. I was trying to avoid running with a small Camelbak that tends to really squeeze my guts. I think on next week's long run, I may run with the large 100 ounce Camelbak, but just fill it about halfway to avoid having too much weight on my back during the run.

The run ended up like this:

19.01 miles in 2:57
Averaged 9:22/mile 156 bpm Heart Rate

Today, it's a run on the treadmill.



No comments: