Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Are You Kidding Me?

"Excuse me, are you a manager here?"

The man wore a blue shirt, and was putting away a few 5 pound weights when I approached him.

"You know, you guys are all out of soap in the locker room, right?"
"Yeah, yeah. No excuse for it. We're expecting our shipment tonight around 4."

The manager, (a friendly enough guy, I suppose) went on to explain how they actually are supposed to get their shipments at the end of the month. It seemed to be a kind of, "See-how-awesome-I-am-that-was-able-to-procure-this-in-such-a-timely-manner?" type of thing. He lamented that "earlier in the week (he) had to pilfer soap from other clubs."

"You should have pilfered more."

I told him that the people working out later that evening would be really happy. Then again, maybe they wouldn't. Maybe they would be completely unaware that there had been a critical supply problem with the hand soap only hours earlier.

C'mon, dude! Are you kidding me? Tons of people, taking a leak (or worse, eesh) and not able to wash their hands? Sure, they've got hand sanitizer, but that's not soap. Hey! Asshole! You need some fucking soap in here!!! Eleven televisions weren't working at the time and a couple of machines were on the fritz. Things break down. I get it. I do. There's a part on backorder, staff layoffs, rising price of steel, shit like that. Sure. But soap? At a health club? It's a health club! It's got the word "health" in the name! One usually frequents such establishments to become healthier, not to pick up viruses and intermingle with complete stranger's feces. I suggested that he send someone to a Sam's Club or Costco, hell, let's get real crazy with the Cheez Wiz and swing by a grocery store, but to pick up some soap.

I saw a lightbulb go on. Maybe he was thinking what a brilliant idea I had! More likely, he was thinking about what a colossal prick I was.

Oh yeah, and I got a run in, too.

Due to prior commitments I wasn't able to do my 18 miler this past weekend. I was delusional when thought that I'd do it on monday. I ended up doing 13, but I did them faster than I would have if I'd done the original mileage. I averaged 8:00/mile on the treadmill and then ran home.

where I promptly washed my hands.

No comments: