Thursday, July 3, 2008

I'm out of shape.

There, I've said it.  

See, I was training to run the Big Sur Marathon in April to celebrate my birthday.  Unfortunately, my sinuses wouldn't cooperate.  I inherited my messed-up sniffer from my Dad.  I've got allergies, and I'm prone to sinus infections.  So when my doctor said that the sinus infection I had wasn't be affected by the antibiotics he prescribed (2 different kinds), we opted for the roto-rooter plan.  "You'll have the surgery on friday, and most people are back to work on monday", is what I was assured.  "When can I start to run again?" I asked.  "Monday" was the reply.  Yeah, well, it didn't quite work out that way.  The only running that was being done on monday, (and in the following weeks) was by my nose.  (rimshot)

And so here we are.  I'm trying to get back to a place where I can run and run, put it on autopilot and just think about everything, and nothing at once.  Running is pretty therapeutic for me.  Sure, it's great for me physically, but the mental aspect, the way it helps me keep in perspective my problems, well THAT is the real reason I'm addicted to running.  That, and my search to see what my limits are.  I've got a pretty good idea of what those limits are, but I want to challenge them.  My goal is to run another 50 miler within the year, and the following year, barring any injuries (or more sinus snafus) I hope to complete my first 100 miler.


No comments: