Sunday, May 31, 2009

Running in Limbo

Nearing the top of Sullivan Canyon


Yesterday, was a strange, surprising run. I emailed my running coach about how to move forward this next month with my training. I'll be headed on two fishing trips this summer up to Canada, and while up there, at least for the first trip, running won't really be an option. I'll be in a very remote area, (we're dropped off by float plane, and picked up a week later) so running in the dense forest among the moose, black bears and wolves, would be a bad idea. I will have some time between the two trips, where I will be able to log a few miles in my hometown of Sheboygan, Wisconsin, but I've found in the past when I run there, I have a tough time of it. I don't know if it's the humidity or the bratwurst-based diet, but I rarely have a good run. For the next month or so, I'll be caught in a kind of running limbo. Coach told me that in the next month I should get in a few 10-12 milers, some trail runs and speed work. Say it with me: Fartleks!

Yesterday, I killed two birds with one stone, running an 11 mile trail run. I performed the night before, got to bed pretty late, and only managed 7 hours of sleep. I know I know, those of you with kids are giving me a hearty "F*ck You" right about now (the funk soul brother), but when I'm running a lot I need at least 8 hours of sleep, and usually 9 if I can manage. I ran the Sullivan Canyon to Westridge loop and it looked like this:



10.80 miles
1:40
Averaged 9:17/mile
149/bpm heart rate

I don't know how I managed to pull that run out of my ass. On the uphill sections my legs felt heavy, but the downhills and flats I felt light on my feet, and my form felt pretty good. This morning, I'm sore, but no more than I usually would be after a long run like that. It was the first run of any significant length since the Big Sur marathon last month.

I want to get at least one more long run in before I leave town, so I don't have the pressure on me to get one in on my vacation. I'd love to log a 15 miler next weekend.

Today, D and I are planning on a short hike. Sweet!

No comments: