Tuesday, December 2, 2008

ON YOUR RIGHT!!!!!!

Man, if I had a dollar for every time I had to scream that at the top of my lungs during a road run... well, let's just say I could bail out the big 3 automakers and still have enough for a new pair of Mizuno's.  I had to scream it 3 times yesterday, along with a few other choice expletives.  Always, it's the same thing.  Someone, usually on their phone, with a dumb "Who, me?" look on their face as they nearly run me over.   It usually happens when people are trying to beat oncoming traffic to make a left turn.  Sometimes they're rolling through a stop sign to make a right turn.  How do you miss a guy wearing a highlighter colored running jacket, reflective patches on the shoes, the jacket, the shorts... the flashing red light on my arm.  No, really, I have it.  I look like I f*&$#ing  belong on the Las Vegas Strip.   

Last night's run, 5, 3/4 mile repeats with a 1/4 recovery  between each... I gotta tell ya, I was flyin'!  At least it felt that way.  It wasn't until the 4th repeat that I was starting to feel it, but still, I just felt strong.  I felt fast.  Could I be, (have a seat, this could be big) getting stronger?!  

(cue the 2001 Space Odyssey theme)

Last night, I took my life into my own hands and ran on the road, in the fog, and ran 5 miles in 37:24.  It averages out to 7:29/mile with an average heart rate of 156/bpm.  

Say whaaaa?

Now for those of you who run, and run like the wind, those numbers will be, less than impressive.  But for me? The Red Kenyan? The guy with cheeto legs? Those numbers represent not the next great thing in marathoning but something smaller, less perceptible.  It's there if you look closely... little closer still.  There it is:  Progress.  BOOYA!  Yup, it's not big, it doesn't have Haile Gebrselassie (world record holder in the marathon) shaking in his skips or anything, but it does prove to me that hard work and patience will be rewarded.   

Update:  

I just returned from my easy One Hour Run this morning, and damn if I didn't feel good, again. I'm probably jinxing myself on this, but I did feel good.  I ran 7.30 miles with an average of 8:28/mile, and 148/bpm heart rate.

No comments: