Sunday, November 23, 2008

The Sweet Smell of Success

So, it's sunday.  The day of rest. Well, for me, anyway.  I do my long run on saturdays during the football season.  Gotta watch the Packers when I can.  Yesterday's 10 miler was strange.  It was run on the streets.  I'm beginning to alternate my long runs between trails and the roads.  When I started, my legs felt rubbery, and my lungs felt a bit heavy.  I looked at my watch to discover I was running nearly an 8 minute mile, which is a bit brisk for my long run.  I kept on it, and gradually,  around mile 6 or 7 I finally felt warmed up and like I was hitting my stride. So much so in fact, that I ran the last mile or so around 7:15/mile.  Picture it:  chugging along I've got 8 miles under my belt, I'm suckin' wind and I run through a neighborhood where they've put manure on their lawns.  I was able to avoid a curtain call by my breakfast, but it was pretty gross.  I could kind of taste it.  A sweet smell.  Eeesh.  

My back is tight again.  It's my hips.  I think the road running is harder on my hips than the trails are.


No comments: