Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Long Road Back

"I caught you a delicious bass."
-Napoleon Dynamite


One month and some 200 fish later, I've returned.

I went on a fishing excursion to Canada. Not once, but twice. TWICE!

I don't get a chance to fish very often, so when I get my butt up there, I'm usually obsessed.

The trouble with having been gone for so long, (and having that humdinger of a head cold when I left), was that I didn't run. Not once. Over a month gone with only one, very light weightlifting workout with my Dad. Granted, I did a lot of lifting of heavy objects while on the first Canada trip. (Lifting boats and motors out the of the water, hauling gear, chopping wood, etc.), but really, I don't consider any of that working out.

Since my return, I've done two workouts. Last Saturday, I ran 7 miles on the Westridge Canyon trail.

Time: 1:09
Distance: 7 Miles
Average: 9:58/mi
Av Heart Rate: 169 bpm

I felt... oh, how do I put this delicately...

like complete and utter shit.

My legs were heavy and slow, my stomach was a bit upset, and it was hot, like 85 degrees, so that didn't help. Yeah, it wasn't a terribly smart thing to do, but then again, I'm not a terribly smart person.

Monday, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill at the gym, running an 8:30/mi pace. My legs were still sore from the ill-advised "7 Mile Westridge Welcome Back Run" two days previous. I did some brief core work, and a little bench press. I've GOT to get my ass back out there again today.



No comments: