Wednesday, October 14, 2009

7 in the Rain

I ran today.

I'll give you a sec to take that in.

I, the Red Kenyan, ran today.

For real!

It's been so tough for me to get back on the horse, but tonight, finally, I got a run in, and wouldn't you know it, it was in the rain. I'm a big fan of running in the rain. We've got a lot of friends that wonder why I run marathons and desire to run more ultras. If you're a runner, then you know why, but if you're not, it's really hard to explain it.

When I run, I think about everything and nothing, all at once. Sometimes I run with music, sometimes without. To run in the rain is one of life's small pleasures. And to run in the rain on the trails? Even better. Sure, I've gotten stuck out there in a storm, ill- prepared and been kind of miserable, but for the most part, running in the rain, on a trail, is really something. To hear the soft hiss as the rain hits the leaves... thunder in the distance... to run in and out of rain clouds... the smell of fresh rain... the color of green and dark brown...

I ran 7 tonight. It was probably a bit early in the game to tick off 7, but I did have the added benefit of a a 1/2 hour break at the halfway mark. My legs are tightening up now. My hips ache a bit and my hamstrings will let me have it in the morning.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments: